Wednesday, March 2, 2011

In Between

I'm still around this week, I just don't have any recent projects finished to post about and the other topics I don't have time for at the moment.  The Accessories Symposium begins in just over a week, which I will take off from on Friday evening to drive up to Belair Mansion for the weekend and teach some rough militia men about fashion (or something like that).  Needless to say, there's a lot to be done, and there will be an equal amount to be posted after that week!  Hopefully I'll finish up a few key things this weekend and do a quick post next week of some value.  In the mean time, here are the three major projects I've got going (soon to be supplemented by a friend's linen gown and some sort of a bag).

Embroidered Mitts.  I have linen and wool galore, but no fancy ones.  A problem if I want to wear my Polonaise out and about.  The outside is silk twill with leather linings and taffeta facings.  I've got a lot of embroidery to do though!  They'll be copied from the pair in CW Collections.

My husband's suit.  I've got the breeches ready to fit again, if only he was ever home!  I'm hoping to have the waistcoat and coat in progress for Belair as examples of what goes on inside.  The coat and breeches will be a lovely burgundy color while the waistcoat is of gold persian silk twill (fidgety little thing).

Silk parasol.  I ripped apart a late 19th century parasol I got on ebay for very cheap (the fabric was a very boring and undecorated black).  I've got the taffeta stitched together, I just need to spend some time re-staining a few spots on the wood and cleaning up the mechanisms.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Wow! Good luck! I'm sure those will turn out wonderfully as usual!!! The parasol idea is so inspiring, now I want to take apart a late c19th parasol to make a Regency one or something... ;)
-Julia

Allison said...

Are you going to be at the Belair Mansion in Bowie, MD? If so, when and is it an event open to the public?

ColeV said...

Yes! It's a very small event, just a training for a group of re-enactors. I do believe the property will still be open as usual though. It's not "private", more like an encampment people can observe and ask questions about. Most of the activity will be on the 19th, a little on Sunday morning as well. Feel free to come over and meet us!